Welcome to My Blog

To young men contemplating a voyage I'd say go.
-Joshua Slocum

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

First Blog Post - Goings On and Some Background

Well, here goes my foray into the world of blogging. After going back and forth between what would work best for me web wise I decided on a combination approach with this blog being the main way to get content to the rest of the world.

So to introduce myself, my name is Jay Rose and I am a Sea Kayaker. I started paddling in the early summer of 2007 paddling the coastal waters of Massachusetts, Maine and Rhode Island. Falling in love with rough water early I put my focus on surfing, rescues and putting in distance as well. After 6 months of great paddles including Newport's southern cliffs (RI), Sakonnet Point (RI), Acadia National Park (ME) and Buzzards Bay (MA), I moved to Naples, FL. I began working at Saltwater Sports (now Naples Kayak Company) a day or two a week and quickly transitioned into that being my career and shifting my focus to instruction. I attended my first ACA Certification in May of 2008 with Becky Molina and discovered Greenland Paddling.

My love for Greenland Paddling grew and grew and I brought that with me to the local paddling community down here in Naples. There is now a large Greenland following down here and many people who had never thought to do so are taking up rolling! I have since gone on to get My ACA Level 2 Instructor Certification with a Level 4 Paddling Assessment, become a P&H Sea Kayaks Team Paddler. Last weekend I also achieved my BCU 3 Star Award and am now the Director of Operations at Naples Kayak Company.

This blog is designed to share my experiences, the good and bad, with a kayak and where it has brought me. Thanks for reading.

-
JR

1 comment:

Mike said...

I think this is a good format for you to share your adventures with the world, so to speak, and it will be fascinating to see who else finds it of interest!